After I finished the pink piece I just posted about, I decided to tackle a much more difficult, and more SCA Period, pattern.
The pattern came from Les Singuliers Et Nouveaux Pourtraicts 1587 by Frederico de Vinciolo.
I started out with the intent to do all the beautiful lace around the arch as well, but ran out of time (and patience) with it. This was another learning piece. One of the most important things I learned on this one was that while using a 50/2 thread (2 strands of thread at a 50 gauge) it was too big. I lost a lot of detail in the inner scallops.
I ordered a finer thread (90/3) and was able to have the detail in the saddle before I finished this piece.
As you can see, I lost detail in the front leg, and wasn’t able to put any of the picots or the arches on half lozenges hanging on the inside of the arch.
The more I make lace, the more I’m learning about it!