Lace completed!

I have completed two new lace pieces, just in time for the competition I’m entering tomorrow.

Queen’s Prize Tourney, in the Outlands, is being held on Sunday, Feb 17.  The rules are that anybody who does not have a Grant Level award or higher (Flower of the Outlands, Laurel) or who is not a Lady of the Rose, may enter one A&S item.  The entrant has to be sponsored by an above mentioned award holder.

As I have not been honored yet with any of the above awards, I am entering a piece of lace.   Yes, I know, you are all shocked to find out I’m entering some lace.

White lace

This lace is made with 35/2 linen.  It is one motif from a pattern from a German Needle Lace Pattern book, from 1597.  I still have to sew the lace onto some fabric and make a small pouch out of it, but that won’t take me very long to do.

At Queen’s Prize, there’s a competition that’s being sponsored by the Ladies of the Rose.  This competition is for “A Rose in Any Medium.”  So, of course, I made a lace rose.  Again, I’m sure you are all surprised.

lace rose

This was made with DMC tatting thread, and the pattern was a modern pattern of a Tudor Rose.  Where the wrapped bars are in the pink and rose areas, I wish I’d put needle weaving instead.  I think it would have made it look nicer.  However, I’m pleased with the overall look of the lace.

Unicorn

After I finished the pink piece I just posted about, I decided to tackle a much more difficult, and more SCA Period, pattern.

The pattern came from Les Singuliers Et Nouveaux Pourtraicts 1587 by Frederico de Vinciolo.

unicorn

I started out with the intent to do all the beautiful lace around the arch as well, but ran out of time (and patience) with it.  This was another learning piece.  One of the most important things I learned on this one was that while using a 50/2 thread (2 strands of thread at a 50 gauge) it was too big.  I lost a lot of detail in the inner scallops.

I ordered a finer thread (90/3) and was able to have the detail in the saddle before I finished this piece.

Unicorn

As you can see, I lost detail in the front leg, and wasn’t able to put any of the picots or the arches on half lozenges hanging on the inside of the arch.

The more I make lace, the more I’m learning about it!

One of the give away pieces of lace

This is one of the peices of lace I gave away last year.  This one went to the prize box for the SCA event I didn’t get to go to.                                                                                                                                      

dsc00397.jpg    dsc00403.jpg  dsc00400.jpg

 This is a drawn thread/cutwork piece.   It only had a little build up in the corners, and a bunch of ‘bundling’ in the threads that were left behind  after I pulled the other threads out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

                                                                                                                                                                            

                                                                                                                                                                             

And still more lace.

I will be uploading lace for a while.  I’ve got a lot of it to do.

The pics in this post are of the infamous “flamingo handkerchief”.    It was actually my first reticello work, and even though I didn’t have the idea about reticello at the time, it turned out not so bad.  Yes, the little bit of embroidery on the sided of the handkerchief are ‘feather stitch’.  You know, cuz I couldn’t use feathers, or embroider feathers on the handkerchief at all, yet this put something ‘feather’ on it…

 dsc00728.jpg                        dsc00731.jpg                  dsc00733.jpg                         dsc00735.jpg

Note:  The flamingo handkerchief was part of an elaborate ‘joke’ that was given to the Baroness of Dragonsspine.  It was something that got started a while back, that people have run with and were having a lot of fun with.   This specific project was because Her Excellency had started a “Flamingo Guard” to keep anything flamingo away from her.  So, one person on the Guard decided she had to find all the loopholes of the charter, and got people to make things that were pink, black, and white.  She asked me to make something, and this was my contribution to the cause.  For my efforts, I was given the “bird flu” —  An embroidered patch with a pink flamingo on it, which I wear proudly at every event I go to.  🙂                                                                              

More lace

I think I’m getting the hang of how to do this thing.  We’ll see.

The next pictures are the napkin I completed and entered into the Outlands Kingdom Arts and Sciences Competition last year.

dsc00766.jpg

dsc00765.jpg